Wednesday, April 1, 2015

NaPoWriMo: Okay, I'll try.

Everybody likes a challenge. This is one of mine. My name is Jordyn (we will keep the last name a secret to protect my unimportant identity) and I am a senior in high school. My wonderful english teacher, Mrs. Fulton, encouraged me and the entirety of my AP Literature class to participate in the NaPoWriMo challenge. I love poetry and write often, but this will be a chance to showcase my excitement to somebody other than my mom or my dog.

Today, I would like to share my first poem. I hope you enjoy! Just to clarify, when I write I often do not base the poem on my current emotions. Rather, I introspectively decide what to write on and channel those emotions to best bring them to paper.




“WICKED GAMES”


Expression’s drawn empty when your name reaches my mind
The cold sole remembrance of the once warm summertime
Can words even describe all the emotion run dry?
But baby, still the question runs deep. The question why?
When perfection reaches reality our world comes to an end
When nothing left outstanding can we possibly pretend
The usefulness of wicked games is like a knife to the throat
Like being out at sea, just keeping our hopeless bodies afloat
The truth of the matter is that truth is but a statistic
I think the answer we’re looking for is if we should even risk it



2 comments:

  1. Love it! Your use of couplets in succession gives your poem a nice meter. I'm excited to follow you on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you, Jordyn. I love this! Glad that you're taking the challenge and posting your work. Keep up the amazing writing! ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete